Monday, August 3, 2009

Things # 8 & #9 RSS feeds& blogs

Okay...I set up an RSS feed via CNN main news stories. I went into FireFox and downloaded an add-on that made subscribing to RSS feeds a snap. Only later did I go and re-read my assignment...not quite what I was supposed to do. So I went back to Google and set up my GoogleReader account. Then I went to a site, National Public Radio (NPR), and added an RSS feed for All Things Considered. I read the CoolCat Teacher blog and agree with the comments about bloggers being either egotists or conversationalists. I couldn't really think of a person whose blogs I wanted to receive on a regular basis until I remembered Teri Lesesne. I love her book reviews and find her sense of humor delightful. So I added her blog as well (http://professornana.livejournal.com/ in case you are interested). Finally, I subscribed to several very helpful blogs related to Library Science and Special Education, two areas of study that I'm currently exploring.


Which Search tool was the easiest for you?
Bloglines. Very well organized and simple search engine. Also loved the fact that you can subscribe to search results feeds, so you continually receive updated search results.

Which was more confusing?
Edublogs' award winners... Not really a search engine, but more like a list of good blogs. While the resources may be helpful, I would prefer an actual search engine that allows the user to search by key words or topics.

What kind of useful feeds did you find in your travels? Or what kind of unusual ones did you find?
See above comments about Library Science and Special Education. Particularly interesting was the ability to subscribe to search results. I hadn't really ever considered how cool and powerful the feature could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment